Sydney Radio (VIS) was established at Pennant Hills in 1912 and remained the principle long-range HF station for many years. Operations were moved to La Perouse on 8th February 1927 and Sydney Radio continued to function as the primary maritime HF receiving station. In 1956 a new HF transmitting station opened at Doonside which was remotely controlled from La Perouse.
Additionally, in the same year, a new receiving station opened at Bringelly. This arrangement continued successfully until the reorganisation of the Coastal Radio Service in the 1990's brought about the closure of Doonside and Bringelly and the relocation of equipment to Brisbane.
Sydney Radio was the main RTG (morse) station with a staff of over 65 and provided an automatic telex service until these services were transferred to Perth Radio (VIP) around 1992.
In 1996 the HF radiotelephone (Radphone) service was transferred to Brisbane Radio (VIB) and all the 10Kw Marconi transmitters and consoles were installed at Ningi. The Radphone service operated from VIB until its closure on 28th February 2002.
GMDSS services from VIS, remotely controlled from VIB, ceased on 30th June 2002 along with all the other Australian coast radio stations.