Townsville Radio commenced operations on 7th August 1913 and provided a coastwatch service for vessels along the Great Barrier Reef and in the eastern Gulf of Carpentaria.
World War II, Townsville took part in the Coast Watchers Scheme. The
Located about 20 minutes north of the centre of Townsville in the coastal suburb of Pallarenda, the station ceased manned operations in June 1997.
Signals received and sent from this site were transferred via land-line to operators at the Brisbane Communications Centre (VIB) until the closure of the coastal radio service on 30th June 2002.