Perthradio, Gnangara 1988
Perth Radio opened at Applecross near Fremantle in September 1912 with the callsign POP later becoming VIP. This station operated for more than 50 years finally closing in 1967 and later becoming The Wireless Hill Telecommunications Museum. After the closure of Applecross, operations were transferred to Bassandean until 1978 when the Gnangara station (above), a few kilometres to the North of Perth, became the new home of VIP. Remote control of Geraldton Radio (VIN) commenced in 1976 on the frequency of 2182 khz.
Perth was the main RTG (morse) station until the closure of morse code in February 1999. An automatic telex service was provided until this was taken over by Globe Wireless using the existing equipment at Perth Radio.
From 1996 the operators remotely controlled Darwin Radio (VID) GMDSS transmitters and receivers.
Services from VIP ceased on 30th June 2002 along with all the other Australian coast radio stations.